Mills County Historical Museum

The idea for a museum began with historical Mills County pictures displayed on several easels put up at the Mills County State Bank for the Bi-Centennial celebration. After that, a building was found.

The Palmer Building, now the museum, was erected as a one-story in 1893. In 1906, a second story was added. Mrs. Mamie Palmer sold the building to the Mills County Historical Museum Corporation in 1977.

The lower story had been used mostly as a Piggly Wiggly grocery store. Rumor states that the lower story had housed a saloon first.

The upper story was used as a meeting room for the Woodmen of the World Lodge for nearly twenty years. Later, it was used for Dr. Thomas Clark Graves's first dental office, doctor offices, law offices, a radio station, an extension of the Saylor Hotel for room rental, and a pool hall.

As the word got out, the people of Mills County brought in their family heirlooms. The first prized possessions of the museum were the old family farm wagon, old pianos, and 100-year-old quilts.

Volunteers arranged all the donated antiques, raised money for repairs, did the repairs, made many of the museum display cases and partitions, hauled in the old Hudson Drugstore cases, and brought in old barn boards to make walls and wooden frames for displays.

As one enters the museum, a painted mural of the first courthouse is seen as a backdrop for the first car registered in Mills County. Centered in the museum is a large painted mural of San Saba Peak and local ranchers.

Don't miss the exhibits of early communications, post office, bank, dentist office, kitchen and home, farm, first hospital, schools, judges, jails, country store, drugstore, barber-beauty shop, 1930 Maytag Ringer Washer, and funeral hearse.

Admission is free.

Mills County Historical Museum
1119 Fisher St
PO Box 118
Goldthwaite TX 76844